Translate

Saturday, September 10, 2016

PARENTING - the other side of the coin


Thoughts from the heart #1

We are always writing and reading about good parenting, but as I have been observing and listening to some parents wondering why the relationship between them and their child/children cannot be like they want it, and I also hear children complained about what it was like growing up, I decided to  share my heart.

As parents we want the best for our children. Because of that we try to give them the best education, send them to Church (unfortunately some of us do not go). Wanting to be so good we put them in a mold. Most times the mold shapes just like us. Do as I say; speak as I do; go where I send you; eat what I give you; love me more than you love others, among other things.

We give them no choice, no chance to say how they feel, they are not allowed to say what they like or don’t like, and sometimes our words are so sharp that we wound them for life. With that they become withdrawn, discouraged and sometimes very rebellious.

Yes, some of us may have failed, but it is never too late to see where we went wrong, ask for forgiveness and bring restoration to the broken parent, child relationship.

We can never change the pass but we can change today and what is to come. Our children are waiting for us to bring that peace and restoration they so longed for.

Ephesians 6:4 Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord.

Colossians 3:21 Fathers, do not make your children resentful. Otherwise, they'll become discouraged.

~Winsome~ - Counselling Psychologist

September 10, 2016

No comments: