Translate

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

CHANGING INSIDE OUT

Do you love the instructions of God's word, listening to gospel radio stations and the good music they play, knowing the word of God at your finger tips, sharing all you hear and know about God, watching Christian television, hearing great messages by your favourite speaker? I guess you do. Well I am just like you I love all of this and more. But yesterday I had an appointment to take my cat to the vet and he was no where to be found. I was so upset that I poured it all on one of my nephews. Within two minutes of my out burst one of my Facebook friends posted Ephesians 4:29. Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. I was bowled over. I was pained inside as I realized all my love for God and all the things of God did not stop me from being angry and sinning. When all was finished my nephew said "you owe me and apology", yes, I certainly did.

With all of our love for God and the wonderful things of God there is much more that just loving. Sometimes we may sound like such a godly person, with our knowledge increasing from all the reading and listening we have been doing. We may even be seen by others as a godly person, but for us to really mature and grow closer to God then we need to allow His word to change us from the inside out. Yesterday I found out there were still a part of me that needed changing from inside out. 

James 1: 19-25 brought it home even clearer to me:...........  My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires.Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.(NIV)

Our spiritual development is based on us practicing the truth we receive from God's word, by loving and serving others and sharing the truth of the gospel we have received. 

Prayer: Lord may we walk humbly and justly before you so others may see you in us.

1 comment:

Felicia Green said...

Amen, Winsome. It is so easy to forget who we say we are. It is one thing to claim the title of 'child of God', but it is another to walk it out. Yes, we are flesh and as such we err, but let's not use our flesh as a crutch. Let's use it as a reminder of the way we use to be, to remind us that we are no longer in bondage and enslaved to the things of this world that once ensnared us so easily. We are no longer alone, we have been given the Holy Spirit of God to aid us in our time of need, to draw on for strength during those times when we feel like we're going to 'lose it'. He is our way out, our option for remaining on the straight and narrow. I know it is not as easy as it sounds, it is quite difficult, but when we do all that we can, then God will step in and do the rest. Glory to God for making a way out.
~Felicia~