Translate

Saturday, October 9, 2010

LIKE HANNAH LORD, LIKE HANNAH

I can recall about five years ago when I faced a devastating situation in my life, all I could do was to draw close to my bible and the God of the bible, I read the word day and night. I began reading 1  Samuel, and today I want to take you on a small part of that journey.

1 Samuel 1: 2 introduced us to Hannah; the story continued that she was a sad woman going through mockery and anquished in her spirit. But even in all of that Elkanah her husband loved her so much  that he gave her double portion (verse 5 But to Hannah he gave a double portion because he loved her). Even in your pain God is preparing your double portion, just has He has done for me and is still doing. In verse 8 Elkanah reminded Hannah that she means more to him more than 10 sons. (Elkanah her husband would say to her, "Hannah, why are you weeping? Why don't you eat? Why are you downhearted? Don't I mean more to you than ten sons?") My friends you are precious in God's sight.

When I felt broken and pained all I could say is "Like Hannah Lord, like Hannah, I am a woman of a sorrowful spirit". Well today like Hannah I am woman of worship, and intercession to my God. I have a friend who would remind me of those days of crying out to the God and she would repeat the "like Hannah......". phrase to me. Today she rejoices with me as I give God all the glory for where He has taken me; soaring on eagle's wings. I am still in the process where God has to sometimes swoop down and become the wind beneath my wings.

Hannah was a praying woman, and verse 12 reminds us that she kept on praying. Persons may discourage you as you persist in prayer about your situation and the answer seems  to be no where in sight. Do not be distracted. Hannah explained to Eli that she is not drunk but she was pouring out her soul to the Lord (v15). In Verse 19 - 20 the Lord remembered her and she had Samuel.

Don't forget when God blesses you after all your pain to testify about the goodness of God, like Hannah did in verse 26-27. She reminded Eli  who she was, and told him about the goodness of her God.

This morning I was taken to Luke 2:36 -38 about Anna the prophetess, widowed and old but was still a worshipper, and intercessor who continued to pray, fasted and talked about the Messiah.

Let us remain worshippers and intercessors unto our God; not forgetting our God who has blessed us and prospered us in our pain and anquish. Today I am a living testimony of how God blesses over and over as I persevered on the journey of pain.

May I pray with you:


Lord I pray for my sisters and brothers who may be going through much pain and hurt today, I pray that you give them the determination to perserve, knowing that all things work together for their good, because they love and trust you. Thank you that you have great things in store for them, In Jesus Name.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Thank you, Winsome for sharing. God lead me to your blog and I am currently doing the bible study called "Anointed, Transformed, Redeemed" where we are studying the life of David.
I have also gone through pain over the last year, losing one of my dear friends to cancer then my father a few months later. I turned from God (even though no one really knew) and was vulnerable to sin, which showed an ugly side of myself. Really ugly.
Through the support of friends and God's generous portion of love and grace, I've come out of it stronger. Your writing on Hannah reminds me to have hope, keep praying and remember that my story is HIS glory!
love & blessings from CA (Saddleback Church Member)
Janet

Soaring higher said...

God bless you Janet. I pray God's continued strength as He prepares you to use your experience/story to strengthen others.